Download the “Microsoft Product Use Rights (WW, English, April 2015)” document at http://www.microsoftvolumelicensing.com/userights/Downloader.aspx?DocumentId=8488 In short, prior to 1st of april 2015, you required
- a FIM server license for every FIM server installed and a CAL for every user managed in the FIM Service, or
- Forefront Identity Manager 2010 R2 External Connector
|FIM Server Components (FIM Sync, FIM Services, FIM portal, …)||FIM Server SKU|
|CAL||Standalone FIM CAL, or Azure Active Directory Premium (AADP), or Enterprise Mobility Suite (EMS) User, orEnterprise Cloud Suite (ECS) User SL|
|External Users||FIM External Connector license (per server)|
After 1st of april 2015:
- Windows Server license (Standard & Datacenter) will include FIM server entitlement
- FIM Server 2010 R2 licenses will not be available anymore on the price lists
|FIM Server Components (FIM Sync, FIM Services, FIM portal, …)||Windows Server license (Standard & Datacenter) will include FIM server entitlement|
|CAL||Standalone (FIM) CAL, or Azure Active Directory Premium (AADP), or Enterprise Mobility Suite (EMS) User, or Enterprise Cloud Suite (ECS) User SL|
|External Users||Windows Connector license|
Certificate and Identity Management
- A CAL is also required for any person for whom the software issues or manages identity information.
- A CAL is not required for users only using the Forefront Identity Manager synchronization service.
From the PUR:
- External Connector License means a license attached to a Server that permits access to the server software by External Users.
- External Users means users that are not either your or your Affiliates’ employees, or your or your affiliates’ onsite contractors or onsite agents.
- CAL means client access license. There are two kinds of CALs: user and device. A user CAL allows access to the server software from any device by one user. A device CAL allows access to the server software from one device by any user.
FIM / MIM is using a user CAL. The FIM server will no longer be sold as a separate license, but instead Windows Server licenses will allow customers to install the FIM Server software. Since FIM users already required a Windows Server CAL or equivalent to access FIM running on Windows Server, no additional Windows Server CALs (or Windows Server External Connector) will be required. Still it’s important to understand that you still need FIM/MIM CALs to manage identities with FIM/MIM (unless you only use the FIM/MIM Sync). Azure Active Directory Premium (AADP) and any suite that contains AADP, including Enterprise Mobility Suite (EMS) and Enterprise Cloud Suite (ECS) or a additive FIM CAL will also entitle users to access FIM. MIM will have the same licensing model. All current FIM customers with active SA on the underlying Windows Server, (since the right to install FIM server is now granted with a Windows Server license), will have rights to upgrade to MIM when it launches. And for my Dutch speaking followers… Tous la même chose: